Pieces/parts for Utility room combustion air vents

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
Hi,

We are about to replace a 40 year old gas furnace with new furnace and AC units.

Because the house as been sealed up and insulated well over the past 10 years, we will need to add combustion air vents, high and low, to the utility room.

Can someone direct me to vendor of wall flanges/vents for the exterior? Tips on any other parts would be great. I am planning on using the floor joist space for the ducting.

Any tips or guidelines for this sort of project is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rog Smith

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It's generally better to go with direct vented sealed-combustion heating units and simply forget about the makeup air issue.

Combustion air vents are a solution- problem, raising the air leakage & heat load of you house that you took all those pains to air seal.

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
Thanks Dana,

The problem is the that the house and the energy savings do not justify anything over an 80% furnace.

Rog

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The house and net present-value on future energy savings may not warrant a better furnace, but your health might, assuming you plan to live there. Poking big holes in the house to prevent backdrafting isn't necessarily great for indoor air quality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks