picking submersable pump/ calculating resistance from a long run of water pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

kavik

Reaction score
I have a cistern fed by a spring and there is a submersable 4" 220 v pump in it. It is located a long way from my house. The water is pumped a little over a 1/4 mile through 1 1/4 " galvanized pipe. There is probably only 60 foot elevation rise. The pump needs to be replaced and I am wondering how to calculate the resistance of the water through the pipe in with sizing the pump. I have a barn halfway to the house with water. Currently, at 60 psi showing onthe pressure guage, water will flow at the barn, but not at the house. At 90 psi it flows well at the house also. I don't know what size/stage pump is in the cistern right now.

As an aside, I was considering a constant pressure type pump, as the water volume at the house does vary cosiderably as the pressure tank drains/system cycles- anyone have any experience with them?

thanks

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can find charts online or from pump companies that will give you the resistance

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
My advise is to stay away from the variable flow pumps as they are a technological nightmare. Installing a Cycle Stop Valve in the line between the pump and tank is much less expesive, all mechanical (no additional electronics), it will extend the life of your pump, pressure switch and tank and it will give you constant pressure. I think that you can find out more about it by visiting http://www.cyclestopvalves.com

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The math does not add up. You lose .43 PSI for every foot of elevation, so if there really is 60 feet of elevation from the barn to the house, there should be 26 PSI loss. 60 PSI at the barn then would be 34 PSI at the house and water should flow. How much flow of course, depends on resistance. I think you need a new pressure guage.

As for variable speed pumps, such a long wire run would wreak havoc on the electronics.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks