PH too high after AN rebed

Users who are viewing this thread

Quality Time

Reaction score
I recently dumped my Acid Neutralizer tank and replaced the bed and media due to a low flow issue and also it hadn't been done in atleast 10 years.

My raw PH is 5.5 so I used a 75/25 blend of Calcite/Corosex which is about what I have been adding annually . Maybe 10% more Corosex this time because I had trouble getting the PH above 6.8 previously. Now the PH is in the 11-12 range?? My Oakton meter is calibrated and still shows a raw PH of 5.5 so I assume it's correct. I'm stumped if anyone can help please.

I'm contemplating dumping it again but don't know what ratio to use or if I should just use straight Calcite.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no experience with such filters, but did you backwash after putting the new media in?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Put the system into an extended backwash cycle. At least 20-40 minutes. Then allow it operate normally for a few days before retesting. This is normal on startup.

Quality Time

Reaction score
I will try an extended backwash. This has been going on for a few weeks though and the system has done the normal backwash atleast twice since the rebed.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If the pH continues to be too high, then reducing the Magnesium Oxide quantity would be a solution. Or it will do it on its own... :)

Quality Time

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies Dittohead. I knew it would come down eventually but wasn't sure how long it will take. Or if it was safe to use/drink such high PH water and what effect it might have on my plumbing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks