Pfister Roman Tub Stem Extension

Users who are viewing this thread

dhla

Reaction score
This may be too esoteric a question, but the PP website is not much help. Has anyone had to install a stem extension with a PP Roman Tub? I'm ordering the 974-375 (2 of them) - do they contain both a sleeve extension and a stem extension? And will I be able to use the existing trim or am a likely to need additional parts?

(Basically - replacing the valve bodies on an old-style Catalina Roman Tub because one of them is damaged - got all the parts, except for 974-375... now ordering that)...

Thanks very much for the help.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that specific part. Generally, extension kits contain the extension, a long screw, and a long sleeve if that is what is needed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We cannot tell you whether you need anything else, because you do not tell us WHICH Roman tub valve you have. Normally you only need the extensions when you cannot adjust the valve bodies, but since you are installing new ones, WHY can't you just elevate the bodies to the point where the handles fit without extensions?

dhla

Reaction score
I'm not sure the model that I'm replacing, but I'm replacing it with the 0X6-150R valve body. Because the tile + board is 2" thick, I need the 974-375 extensions. So my original question, which is esoteric, is would anyone happen to know if it comes with both a stem extension and sleeve extension? I'm really asking on behalf of my plumber, who is hoping that is the case. The PP website is not much help.

(And the reason that we are replacing the valves is because a different plumber, who must have been hired by the previous owner, damaged one of the valves and tried to fix by wrapping it in lots and lots of teflon tape - that has finally worn out and there is a drip - so I would rather fix it correctly).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have only had to do it once, and it has been many, many years ago, but if I remember correctly there is an extended escutcheon holder in addition to the stem extension.

dhla

Reaction score
For the record, I now have the official answer - and the actual part. It comes with a valve extension (like a sleeve), a stem extension, and a screw. It would have been incredibly helpful if Pfister updated its website to have both an image and instructions for this part online. Also, for whatever it's worth, the instructions for the valve itself - 0X6-150R - contains a reference to a part, 975-015, which is an extension for more than 2.75" of deck (which fortunately I don't have to deal with) - but nobody, including Pfister, seems to have any record of this being a real part. But Pfister refers to this part in its instructions.

I'm just happy I have the right part and the plumber is going to be able to fix the tub on Monday.

Happy Easter, hj, and thanks for the responses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks