PEX Under Outdoor Deck

Users who are viewing this thread

mosley

Reaction score
Can I run this PEX from my basement, outside, under my deck, to a hose bib? Does it need to be run in conduit, to protect from sunlight, even though it is under my deck? Are there any issues with contact to pool water? Is a backflow preventer and/or a vaccuum breaker needed?

I understand that I will need to purge it of water during the winter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PEX will degrade when exposed to UV light, so, it does need to be protected. Because it's usually hard to keep it straight, purging it of water for the winter may be tough without an air compressor and provisions to attach it to blow it out.

In most places, a vacuum breaker is required for a hose bib, and is almost always a good idea. WHile potable water often has some chlorine in it, I'm not sure about the upper limits if it will be affected. You'd have to read the spec sheet carefully, or maybe call the tech support line for the product you're considering. I'd consider just converting to copper under there, pitch it carefully towards the outside, and let gravity drain it when the time comes.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would never leave PEX exposed outdoors. First it needs to be protected from U.V. degradation. Second, what happens when you are on vacation and a squirrel or other animal decides to chew on it? There are many places where metallic piping like copper really is the better choice.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, I got victimized by a rodent a couple of years ago. Weather turns cold and the critters come looking for a winter home. And something to chew on. Pex must be like chocolate to the rats. Anyway, he's chewing on a barrel of napalm down in hell right now.
I like pex. The rodent angle is really my greatest worry. An expanded metal sleeve for it would give peace of mind.

mosley

Reaction score
Thank you all. I have a 1" black flexible hose running under my deck for a sprinkler zone I am not using. Can I "T" off that? It will mainly be used for watering plants and grass, but can that be used for drinking water as well?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Potable water tubing has to be listed and labeled for potable water use.

A sprinkler system is required to be isolated from the municipal wzter supply with a RPZ backflow preventer, which is required to be tested annually.

Flapper

Reaction score
A sprinkler system is required to be isolated from the municipal wzter supply with a RPZ backflow preventer, which is required to be tested annually.
It depends on location, no?

I have a 1" black flexible hose running under my deck for a sprinkler zone I am not using. Can I "T" off that? It will mainly be used for watering plants and grass, but can that be used for drinking water as well?
If the tube is rated for potable water, and there is a backflow preventer between the tee and the system, I think it should be fine. But you should probably use a lead free hose bibb and vacuum breaker that is rated for potable water, because the cheap hose bibbs and vacuum breakers you get at big box stores are not lead free compliant and not for potable water.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
By definition, ANY WATER after a backflow preventer/vacuum breaker is considered "Non-potable_water.

The water purveyor may require all connections to the public water supply to have some form of protection. In some areas this may mean that every water service to a public, private or residential building may require a backflow prevention device to protect the system. This is called containment protection. The public water supply is contained and protected from contamination.

This does NOT make nor define water downstream from the backflow prevention device as "non-potable."

Flapper

Reaction score
We have an RPZ between the water supply and our system. Does that mean we're drinking poo water?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We have an RPZ between the water supply and our system. Does that mean we're drinking poo water?

The backflow preventer is what keeps potentially contaminated water, bugs, herbicides, insecticides, etc, etc, from coming back into to potable water system. This is why is is required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks