PEX supported clamps & pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

wamwis

Reaction score
I have an old house (1962) with copper plumbing. A 2001 addition was done with PEX for radiant floor heating and plumbing. In both systems the expansion type of PEX connections were used. The lines are 1”, 3/4” and 1/2”. I am now beginning 3 projects. PROJECT ONE: remodel a 1962 bathroom which will require gutting all the copper in the area and plumbing a bidet, toilet, two sinks and a tub and two outside faucets. PROJECT TWO: I am going to replace at least one 50 foot 1” line to the 2001 addition with three 1/2” home runs, as it takes far too long for cold water to get to those faucets. PROJECT THREE: put the two outside faucets, plus 3 additional ones on their own line to support a separate water meter. (our sewer charges are high).

Due to hand & arm strength (I am 73) I am considering going to cinch SS connectors. The expansion type would require $600 or so in tools, the crimp connectors would require three tools for the various sizes, the cinch tool works on all sizes and is the cheapest and easiest to use. I probably will use metal fittings, as I don't know of the reliability of the plastic connectors for non-plumber use.

Here is my question. Will the existing WIRSBO-PEX-a (2001) support SS cinch connectors, I think it will? Will new NIBCO PEX support SS cinch connectors? The PEX pipe for the NIBCO is marked F1807 among other numbers, but does not have F2098 on it. I can't seem to find pipes with the F2098. Based on my reading of http://www.astm.org/search/fullsite-search.html?query=f2098&, I think it is, but would like your opinion. I feel confident I can do the work, but doing it with the wrong materials would be disastrous.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score

Magneto

Reaction score
You can definitely use a ratchet type cinch connector, one size fits all. As far as the plastic fittings they work just fine and are made of the same material as PEX. It should support each other, and the reason you cant find those standards are becasue they are outdated by over a decade.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks