PEX Rodents Problem, Please Read!

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick Suddes

Reaction score
The bite pressure in a Rats jaw is 24,000 psi that is as hard as steel.
Seriously, fostapex has an aluminum sheathing around the PEX core. I'm not saying a rodent is incapable of chewing through it, but would it want to? When you were a kid, did you ever try chewing on aluminum foil? You stopped pretty quickly, didn't you? You get some kind of horrible electrochemical reaction going on that seemingly electrifies the nerves in your teeth. Honestly, I don't know what it was, but it was disgusting and very painful. What I don't remember is whether it involved contact between the aluminum foil and a dental filling (making a battery of sorts), or whether it happens with regular healthy teeth too. Now that I'm older, I don't feel like repeating the experiment. If it requires dental fillings, then it might blow my theory about deterring rodents.

Anyway, all the photos I found of rodents chewing through PEX were cases of rodents chewing through un-sheathed PEX. This may be because the unsheathed PEX is more common, or is could be because the unsheathed PEX is a lot more vulnerable, or both. I haven't yet seen a photo of a rodent chewing through fostapex.

Any insight here on whether fostapex would deter rodents? I'd like to use PEX for a repipe on a remodel, but rodents are like insects. They multiply so fast that you can't be 100% certain of keeping them out. Even in a perfectly clean home, they might just be looking for shelter.

David

jerryb437

Reaction score
Same problem here in Louisiana, the fix was simple tho. Rats and Mice hate Ivory Dishwashing Liquid.
When all the piping is in place and before insulation and sheetrock is installed, fill a garden sprayer with
half and half water and Ivory and shake well. Soak all piping throughly, rats and mice won't touch it.
The Ivory stays in the outer skin of the plastic piping and has a very bitter taste. Haven't had a problem
since. Been doing this for the last 6 or 7 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks