PEX riser tightening, how many turns at stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

tom-rad

Reaction score
:confused:
Hi,
I am replacing some copper risers at my bathroom sink with PEX. I have a choice of MerFlex and Zurn PEX, with the correct plastic ferrules. My question is: How tight do I need to make the connection at the stop valve end? I've expoerimented (with a scrap piece), and found that one half turn past finger tight is enough to hold the riser from being pulled out of the stop easily.
My confusion is partly based on the info. from the MerFlex wrapper (and website), they recommend 2 to 3 full turns past hand tight. When I experimented with the scrap piece, this made quite a groove in the PEX, but it sure wasn't going any place. The literature is confusing, because they tell you to avoid overtightening, but to me, two or three turns is overtightening.
So, what is best, maybe one to two turns? I was about to try 1-1/2, and leave it at that.
BTW, I am NOT a plumber, just want to avoid an unexpected flood.

What I am trying to avoid:
1. Undertightening, causing the riser to blow out of the stop from water pressure surge (or something like that).
2. Overtightening, severing or collapsing the riser tube.

Again, if you can't tell, I am NOT a plumber, so I don't know what this stuff will tolerate.

Also, which is better? MerFlex or Zurn Pex? I have both.
Thanks for any info.
Tom

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks