PEX quick disconnect or crimp?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ofblong, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ofblong

ofblong Journeyman Industrial Mechanic, Electrical Apprent

Right now I have both crimp fittings and quick disconnect fittings on the PEX in my house. The only differences I have found so far...

Crimp

1. Requires a tool to install
    2. made of copper
    3. Costs 1/2 as much as copper fittings

Quick Disconnect

1. No tools required to install
    2. Plastic
    3. costs same as copper fittings

Other than that I am wonder what other differences there are. I have found that I like the quick disconnect better than the crimp do to the fact you can swivel them (just like air fittings) to screw them into whatever your screwing them into.

Just so you know I am not a plumber. I am an Journeyman industrial Mechanic, electrical apprentice. But thats why I am asking this ? because I am not a plumber... I dont do plumbing for a living and I dont install plumbing. I will help friends/family out when asked and will do it for my own needs of my house but thats as far as I go.
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

3. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It's funny They used to be so good when Wirsbo/Uphonor held the Patent Rights. Then the Patent Rights ran out they went to the Expansion system and the "Bad" Propaganda started...

Want to see something...Go out and look under the hood of your car...
    Do you see any ssc clamps? I wonder why they work so well in the automotive world with the temperature extremes and vibrations cars experience? Surely the temperature controlled, static location life is just to tough for them.
  5. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

Yes, my first set of SSC clamps when I started the project were Uponor/Wirsbo, then they "stopped" making them. I still used their tubing but had to finish with Zurn/Watts SSCs
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Do you have Zurn fittings? Or, just the crimp rings?
    I never used the Zurn fittings. I thought they were junk and I guess I was right cause they had problems.
  7. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

Not saying :-( , i'll let you guess.
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Where in CT are you?
  9. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

I'm in Bridgeport
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Oh okay... I was just curious... In Middlesex area myself.

Yea, the zurn brass fittings have a habit of breaking.