PEX question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am considering picking up a PEX set up. I am doing quite a few whole house replumbs on 1 family rental units for a guy that I have worked for for 12 years, he buys 2-3 a month now. These are small cracker boxes with crawls spaces. Very few have basements. The last one I did had a 18" crawl and it took forever running copper. My thought was to stub from the fixture to below floor level with copper and then make all my runs and tie ins with PEX. I have always used copper and won't use CPVC but the PEX for this application seems like something I can live with. I am in my mid 50s and crawlspaces are no fun anymore. I have read some of the PEX discussions in the archives but would appreciate any and all feed back, pros and cons, on this.
Thanks, Cass

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pex "is" much easier in crawl spaces.

I never did like smoking it up down in a crawl with so little ventilation.
Running PEX is much cleaner.
It does need to be supported more often than copper, but it's still easier.
If these are one bath homes, you may even consider running a manifold system.

https://terrylove.com/pipe.htm

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
Like Terry said, PEX is good stuff and needs more support. In very tight spaces where fittings are inbetween beams you really need to figure out how to put everything together since the Aquapex (manual) tool is not small and you cannot get it into tight spots. I don't think I save anytime using it but I do save my lungs from breathing in all that smoke for the last 22 years.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I started using the PEX for hard to run areas like 8" crawl spaces. I like it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks