PEX question: termination at stop valves

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by nmlaz, Dec 10, 2013.

1. nmlaz

nmlaz New Member

Hello -

I had a professional plumber rough in my plumbing a while back (over a year) in a bonus room I am finishing. It has a bathroom (toilet and sink) and a bar (sink and small water heater location...I have a question about the wh I will ask in another thread).

Anyway, he stubbed out PEX in all locations and after finishing the walls and interior I am ready for the connections. I have the standard compression ring (typical for copper pipe connections) BrassCraft stop valves.
    Questions:
    1. Will those actually work or do I need PEX specific crimped style? Which are the best? I want quality so price is considered but not my first concern.

2. Perfect world which is better 1/4 turn stops or multi turn? I have noticed the ones in my house (multi turn) always leak when turning on or off and then eventually stop. Are the 1/4 turn any better or is that just preference?

3. Since PEX was stubbed out (it was supported in wall by plumber) how much should I leave exposed through finished wall? Im not sure where to cut it back to but want to leave room for error and future if necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Nick
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can use those compression valves BUT, you also have to buy the internal reinforcing ferrule, or they will fail. Those are usually SS sleeves with a small lip so it won't insert too far that reinforces the PEX from inside so you can actually compress the wall to hold the valve in place. On some brands, you can buy them with that ferrule packaged in the box, but they are available separately (sometimes they're hard to find, though). You have two other options, one only works if the wall is still open: convert to a copper stubout (and, ideally, install an anchor so it is firmly in place), or go buy crimp style shutoff valves.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ALL valves can fail, but the 1/4 turns are usually better.
    1. If i had done the plumbing I would not have used PEX.
    2. And, if I HAD used PEX, I would NOT have stubbed the PEX out of the wall, even with "support".
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Would you have used all copper?
  5. jadnashua

If you were to use a copper stubout, something like this would work

Attached Files:

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

There is nothing wrong with PEX
    They also make "PEX end" stops. There are plenty of choices here. Much of it is just esthetics.
    I like stubbing copper out, but that's just because I'm old fashioned in some things, like hj.
    I've seen jobs where they manifold the PEX and connect direct to the fixtures, shutoffs at the Manifold.
    It's different than what I installed forty years ago, but it works.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. jadnashua

FWIW, I used compression stops on the pex in my last remodel...just bought those that had the required ferrule in the box, but any compression stop will work if you use the ferrule, too. Do NOT try it without, though.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Would you have used all copper?

Yes, but they should at least use copper stubouts with the PEX.
  9. nmlaz

nmlaz New Member

Thanks Terry, thanks to everyone who replied.
    I hired a plumber because I wanted the job done right. Yes, he stubbed out PEX, but I still think the job was clean and professional. I asked, because I read about the copper stub out. He left me all the stop valves to finish the job...I just figured out he left me ferrels too. I suppose I will leave an inch or so past the beauty ring...I don't want to be short.

Thanks again!