PEX Pipe in attics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
I have a hot water leak under my slab. If I have them break up the tile and concrete floor to repair they stated that the line may leak in a new spot (copper pipe). My plumber is recommending they reroute the line using PEX Pipe in the walls and attic.

I have a concern with the PEX in the attic. Does this stuff deteriorate in the heat? I live in Arizona and the attic space gets extremely hot in the summer time.

Should I be concerned or follow their advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pex is often used for radiant heating runs. Most have a maximum working temp of about 180-degrees F, so it should be fine in your attic. What will degrade the tubing is exposure to UV, so you'd want to cover it if there's a ridge vent or the possibility of any light exposure. You'd want to insulate it regardless, which should be enough protection. If you can run the pex underneath the insulation closer to the ceiling, it won't get anywhere near as hot from the attic, or, if you have that occasional period when it gets below freezing (maybe not common in AZ, but depends on where you are!), that should work out, too. Pex won't be damaged if it does freeze (fittings will), but you want to avoid that as well. It would make your hot shower a bust if the line is frozen!

Phillbo

Reaction score
I'm going to let them reroute the line using the Pex. Less hassle than having to replace the tiles.

Thanks for the input guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks