PEX pipe and crimp system comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

mainer

Reaction score
I have noticed that there are three different PEX "systems" in use in my area:

1. Wirsbo - which uses a special expander tool and specific pipe and fittings.
2. Oetiker clamps - one crimping tool is used for all sizes - can use standard PEX pipe.
3. Black copper crimp rings (various brands), with various brand pipe.

As far as I can tell, plumbers tend to use what their favorite supplier pushes.

So I'm wondering if anyone has used all three crimping methods and can offer any comparitive pros-cons info...??

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm using Wirsbo and I like it. It's like you say, plumbers tend to buy what is most availible where they work.
I've only heard good about the PEX pipe systems, so it seems to be "all good" so far.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
My understanding is that if someone has been stocking crimping tools and supplies (for other plastic pipe) they favor that system. Just a bit of hearsay from a non-professional.

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Clayton

I have used all three, and currently mostly just use Vanguard now. I will not use the oetiker clamps anymore as I had problems with the rings breaking during the clamping process. It seldom happened, but the fact that it did happen more than a few times, I stopped using them. My coworkers and two other companies here had the same experience with them.
The Wirsbo system is great, the pipe is more flexible allowing the use of bend supports the fittings have a larger diameter for slightly better flow. On the other hand, the expander tools are expensive, especially if you go with power expanders. They can be hard to work with in tight spaces on repair work also. The fittings and pipe are a little more expensive than the PEX-b and PEX-c brands.
The Vanguard or Bow (PEX-b) systems are great also. I've started using their Tempright line of pex that is made up of 3 layers for better Chlorine and UV resistance. I don't know if Wirsbo offers a similar product or not. They also have a 25 yr warranty. The fittings are smaller than Wirsbo, but you should always size your waterlines according to the product you're using not nominal pipe sizes.
Rehau is another PEX-a product with the same qualities as Wirsbo just a different fitting system.
As said before, I feel they are all great systems. Some people put the pex in grades (PEXa, PEXb, PEXc) from good to bad. I dont really see it that way, none of them are far superiour than the other. Each has certain features or qualities that is better than the other, They all have their place in the plumbing industry along side copper. You should be happy with any properly installed pex system.

mainer

Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent replies.

On a related note, do you have to use Wirsbo fittings when using Wirsbo's crimp rings? And presumbaly you must use Wirso pipe with their crimp rings?

I know I have seen Wirsbo pipe used with non-Wirsbo crimp systems, but not the other way.

Thanks again, Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks