PEX near electric water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
Maybe old question, my plumber installed PEX close to my new AO smith electric tank heater. Right up to the short nipples that come out the top of the heater.
Is that OK? I read this in a 2010 california building code (maybe a draft version):

604.11.2 Water Heater Connections. [Not Adopted by BSC, HCD, DSA/SS, DHS, AGR & OSHPD 1, 2, 3 & 4] PEX tubing shall not be installed within the first eighteen (18) inches (457mm) of piping connected to a water heater.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That sounds right. We don't install PEX to the water heater for that reason. We have at least 18" of something metalic between the PEX and the water heater.

Rayh78

Reaction score
I can understand it for a gas water heater, because of the heat from the flue.
But with electric the pex is not going to get any hotter if it is 18" away.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, most PEX has an upper safe operating temperature limit of 180-degrees. The T&P safety valve on the WH opens at around 205-degrees. It's prudent to keep the plastic tubing away from the top of the WH where it can cool a little from radiant conduction should something go amiss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert-SC

Reaction score
That sounds right. We don't install PEX to the water heater for that reason. We have at least 18" of something metalic between the PEX and the water heater.
Can the 18" copper be ran down beside the hotwater heater using a copper elbow? Is the length of the copper important and not its location?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks