pex insulate/water hammer?

Users who are viewing this thread

pitteach

Reaction score
I'm running pex to a new upstairs bathroom. I'm hearing mixed things on this so I want to be sure.
Do I need to insulate the hot runs to prevent heat loss?
And do I need arrestors at the fixtures (including laundry) or will proper securing do the trick?

Also, what is the best way to stub out to the fixtures? Should convert pex to copper below the floor, or go pex as far as I can go ?

eliminator.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
run the pex as far as you can

you can run the pex all the way up to
the stops if you so wish.....keeps less
joints in the walls that way...

ideally it would be nice to insualte the hot line.....
I dont think it is done much by plumbers, only DIY folks....

with the pex you can easily put air hammer --chambers
anywhere you want to in the lines ......

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The arrestors should go on the washing machine. If you don't want to pipe them in, both Watts and Sioux City make them with hose connectors on them that go in-line with the washing machine hoses...they add about $1-2 to the cost over a solder or screw in version. I think HD carries the one brand, and Lowes the other.

Finding shutoffs for the pex (actually, they are often the same as for copper) is a little tougher - you need the ss insert to reinforce it so you have something to compress against. I like the transition to copper if it is a valve you are going to use often (unless something like a washing machine box with integrated valve that can be screwed down), as it feels better with the solid copper rather than the slight flex you get with only the pex. If it is something that gets turned off only for maintenance some years down the road, probably not a big deal.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I've never actually seen a PEX or PB water system with water hammer. Plastic has a cushion. (After you shut off the water, you'll see a slow pressure drop as you release the water.) As to insulation - I don't know how practical that would be. Sure, it will hold heat in the lines a bit longer. If it's a short line, I wouldn't bother. PEX holds heat a bit longer than metal pipe anyway.

If it's a longer line, having it insulated means you'll get warm water before you get hot water. If you're energy conscious, it wouldn't hurt.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
For stub outs you can use one of these brackets nailed across the studs.

CopperStubBracket.jpg

Then connect the pex to one of these stub outs and solder it to the bracket above.

WPSB-C.jpg

Or, you can as stated above run pex direct to the stop valve. You can also put a chrome sleeve over the PEX to make it look purdy...

WPCS-1PB.jpg

Pex has very little heat loss Which is why in radiant heating applications it is encased in aluminum radiators to work. You can insulate if desired.

Pex is also resistant to water hammer but yes at the washer box I would install one with arrestors.

pitteach

Reaction score
I'm going with the Sioux Chief Ox Box for the laundry. It comes fully loaded with arrestors and direct pex hookups and it is USA made (hard to find!). Everything is compact and flexible for install which is what I need for a closet setup.

I'm going to try and hookup everything else directly to pex. I was concerned about the look at the toilet supply, but I like the idea of covering it with the decorative tubing.

One more question: How concerned should I be about leaks in the laundry closet. What kind of supply lines? What about auto shutoffs? I'm going to install a small floor drain just in case. (This is on the second floor.)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The OX Box is a great choice!

I would use Braided Stainless Steel "No Burst" supply lines for the washer. I would not recommend the "Floodsafe" connectors as :
1 The FloodSafe Valve is protecting a hose which will not burst.
2 They are prone to "False Trips" which require disconnecting the hose to reset.
3 I have seen them break between the connection to the supply and the "Floodsafe" valve resulting in a flood.

redwood_floodsafe5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may want to consider a pan for the washing machine, plumb its drain to the floor drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks