PEX installation with multiple 90s

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by theoldwizard1, Jun 20, 2011.

1. theoldwizard1

theoldwizard1 New Member

I'm planning on re-doing the entire hot and cold water supply in tri-level home. Most of the plumbing is located in the open ceiling of a utility room and the bathrooms will have the walls opened. It is a small utility room (10x14) with very little space left over after the washer, dryer, laundry tub and forced air furnace with all terminating points accessible from this one room, so a "home run" installation does not make sense.

After trying to bend the PEX around some corners, I'm thinking of just giving up and installing 3/4" PEX and a bunch of 90s, dropping down to 1/2" as it goes to the stops.

I know this will cost more, but my question is, how badly will the 90s affect volume/pressure ? There could be as many as 8 90s required to make a "clean installation" to the laundry tub.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Have you tried the bend support brackets? These hold the pipe, give you the minimum ben radius, and prevent kinks. One of the beauties of pex is you need few connections...I'd prefer not to have to use them. As to flow restriction...depends somewhat on whether you are useing crimp or expanded connections. The Uphonor expansion system is less restrictive through a fitting. Not sure by how much.
  3. not a big deal.

But defining that might lead to a never ending discussion. The thing to know is that most homeowners overestimate the impact that a bend will have on flow or pressure.