PEX Go/NoGo question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdk

Reaction score
I am just starting to use PEX and so far things are going well. Except that I noticed on the last few rings I compressed (3/4) when I put the go/nogo gauge on the rings I find that it measures correct except there is one spot on the rings that the gauge will bottom out in the no go. I rotated the gauge around the ring, and from what I can deduce there seem to be two spots that are compressed more than the rest of the ring...
So my question.. Is this normal or do I need to adjust the tool... ( I did not have this issue when doing 1/2 in rings)
also is there an easy way to get a roll of tubing to straighten out? I am afraid that I will have a real battle in the small crawl I an headed into next.
thanks
Jd

Last edited by a moderator:

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
I've been redoing my house with PEX as well... I've been using Sharkbite tubing/fittings and an Apollo crimper. My experience is the crimper leaves two spots on the crimp rings that are "less" crimped. However I believe it’s not because they are less crimped, but where the copper ring bunches together when its compressed.

I insert the Go/NoGo tool like such and check on the opposite side as well. If I try using it rotated 90 degrees (from image) then the Go portion won't pass the "nubs" (bunched areas).

Picture1.png

To be honest, making connections with PEX is pretty fool proof. Out of all the connections I made, NOT one PEX one has leaked when I pressure tested it. Cut the tubing square, insert it onto the fitting all the way, place the copper ring ~1/8-1/4" from the tubing end, crimp square to the tubing and check with a Go/NoGo gauge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks