PEX fitting reliability

Users who are viewing this thread

como1103

Reaction score
I am installing an irrigation system in my yard, and am tapping into the main water line. It is 1" pex pipe, and I plan on using some pex compression fittings connected to a PVC tee for the sprinklers.

My question is, how reliable are these pex compression fittings? This connection will all be buried underground, and after making sure it isn't leaking when I attach it, I will cover it with dirt and likely never see it again. If it ever begins to leak, I will never know.

Another question... how else can I tap into a 1" pex pipe? Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems to me a PVC irrigation system would be simpler and less expensive. You'd only need to transition from PEX once. I'd got to copper from the transition point to the back flow device, then transition to PVC. You could go with PVC instead of copper, that is just my personal choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What do you mean by "PEX compression fittings"? The simplest would be a PEX tee with PEX to the backflow preventer, (you are going to install one, aren't you?), and then PVC from there.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I basically concur with HJ. My choice of copper instead of PEX to the back flow prevent is just to provide a solid base for the back flow preventer. Functionally, there would be no difference.

como1103

Reaction score
Yes, I am installing a backflow device. I am running pvc from the main pex waterpipe to the side of the house where everything will be located (valve box, shutoff valve, backflow preventer, etc...)

the fittings I am asking about look similar to this...

They are not threaded and fit right into a 1" pvc tee. The guy at my plumbing specialty store recommended them and said they were made for pex pipe. Once I get it put together, and make sure it isn't leaking, can I cover it with dirt and forget about it forever?

Last edited:

RinconVTR

Reaction score
I am installing an irrigation system in my yard, and am tapping into the main water line. It is 1" pex pipe, and I plan on using some pex compression fittings connected to a PVC tee for the sprinklers.

My question is, how reliable are these pex compression fittings? This connection will all be buried underground, and after making sure it isn't leaking when I attach it, I will cover it with dirt and likely never see it again. If it ever begins to leak, I will never know.

Another question... how else can I tap into a 1" pex pipe? Thanks.

Plumbers in my area said no worries. They use PEX very often for new homes and retro's. I happen to also T into my main line (like you are) and installed 1" PEX to feed my water powered backup sump pump.

Until my basement floods...I have no concerns about PEX fittings and crimp rings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That fitting is for ips pipe, such as PVC, NOT a cts line such as PEX. I would prefer copper also, but if he is going to run plastic, PEX might be preferable since it would not snap in two when the lawnmower hits it.

como1103

Reaction score
HJ, that is not the exact fitting, that just looks similar to it. I couldn't find the exact one I used.
I got it all put together today and had no leaks. Ill leave it exposed for another day or so to make sure its still solid, then bury it. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• water line.jpg
    water line.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5,118
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks