PEX connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Wrenn

Reaction score
I'm building a small cabin. The plumbing was stubbed in by the contractor, and I plan to finish the job. I'm used to working with copper and PVC, but the plumber used PEX, so it's time for me to learn how to work with it. I understand the different connection systems are not interchangable, but will they work on any PEX tubing? In other words, can I choose any connection system and know it will work with my existing tubing?

Also, if I have a brand X crimp tool do I have to use only brand X fittings and rings? Or are there industry standards so as long as I'm using F1807 fittings it will all work?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think I've read that it is best to use the manufacturer's system components. Not all use crimp rings.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They have PEX X copper fittings that you would sweat on to the copper pipe then crimp on the PEX then yopu can run everything in copper OR buy all the PEX equipment and continue in PEX. The sharkbite fittings are expensive but you only would need 1 if you used one.

twigpig

Reaction score
I plumbed my house with Rehau. I think the connections are very durable. The manufacturers recomend that you only use their fittings and tools. That said I had to replace a couple of valves for toilets in the double wide we are living in until the new house is done. This house has the old grey plastic water lines that were used before PEX and are notorious for failing. Actually it is the fittings that seam to fail. Anyway since I had the tools already I used Rehau PEX fittings on the grey pipe and so far so good. No leaks in either house. Rehau would probably have coniptions if they knew how I used their fittings:eek: . They used to be very picky about installations.
It is a big outlay of cash for tools for just a couple of fittings. Once you find out who manufactured your PEX you might want to try and go down to the plumbing store that carries that brand and see if they have a loaner set of tools or a buy back program. Buy the tools, do the job and they buy them back less $???. Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks