pex compatability

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rpmac, Jan 21, 2010.

1. rpmac

rpmac New Member

Hello,

I have a question about pex compatability, and crimper compatability. I just moved into a new house that is plumbed with viegapex, and plastic fittings, and i am wanting to add a water softener. So i went to Lowes they have vanguard pex with an apollo crimper that does 1/2, 3/4 etc. And went to home depot and they have sharkbite pex which I beleive is zurn, with a zurn crimper, or a cash acme crimper. So I guess my questions are

1- do I have to use my same brand of pex that I have in my house already?
    2- Which crimper should I buy, Are they all the same or do you have to use a brand specific one, they all have changeable heads
    3-And should I buy the same brand fittings, and will they work with the original pex in the house.

I was going to go with the vanguard pex, but liked the zurn combo crimper the best.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. rpmac

rpmac New Member

well after doing a lot of reading, i guess zurn is not the way to go, and cash acme is sharkbite. So I guess I need to know if the vanguard pex will be ok with the viega, and if the apollo crimper is ok to go with on a budget, because it is the combo crimper. Because the viega crimpers are twice the price, and only do one size. THe apollo does all the way to 1 inch and is $100.

Thanks
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010