pex and steam heat

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by arturofitz, Jan 18, 2010.

1. arturofitz

arturofitz New Member

I have a steam boiler I want to put another zone in my basement .I put a ciculating pump on The pex that I bought has an oxygen barrier and is for base board heat HOWEVER I just noticed that it is rated for 180F and I am sure that my steam boiler puts the water hotter than that IS there a PEX rated for steam???
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Are you using a heat exchanger? If not then all your piping must be well below the water level in the boiler.

John
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Short answer is no, you can't use pex.