pex and steam heat

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by arturofitz, Jan 18, 2010.

1. arturofitz

arturofitz New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I have a steam boiler I want to put another zone in my basement .I put a ciculating pump on The pex that I bought has an oxygen barrier and is for base board heat HOWEVER I just noticed that it is rated for 180F and I am sure that my steam boiler puts the water hotter than that IS there a PEX rated for steam???
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Aug 9, 2009
    Are you using a heat exchanger? If not then all your piping must be well below the water level in the boiler.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Jul 30, 2008
    Tech. Instructor
    S. Maine
    Short answer is no, you can't use pex.