PEX A Pressure Test

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathon Zetterholm

Reaction score
What should be hooked up when I pressure test the system? Right now I have shower valves, ice maker hookup, and laundry hookup connected. It holds air pressure (80+ psi) for several hours, but drops to below 20 psi after 24 hrs. I'm assuming I want it to hold better than that. Should I cap off the lines before all those valves and test again? Or do I just need to spray everything down with soapy water? Any suggestions? There are no audible leaks anywhere.

Jonathon Zetterholm

Reaction score
It holds 80 for several hours? I would try it with water then.
It is new construction, no heat, no insulation yet. I am in the Midwest with sub-freezing temps every night. Testing with water makes me a little nervous. Is PEX a that resilient?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathon Zetterholm

Reaction score
So, I have tested a couple times now up to 100 psi. It drops slowly (over several hours) to around 60-80 psi. Some of that is due to pex expansion, I know. But then after letting it sit overnight it drops to 15 psi and stays there. Shower, laundry, and ice maker valves are installed. Are these the problem or do I most likely have a leak at one of my connections? Seems like they are pretty hard to mess up.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air compressors put out HOT air. When that air cools down, pressures in a closed system will drop dramatically. Air testing is
the pits. It's dangerous, and many places is not acceptable to pass inspection. Test with water, and then blow the pipes
clear with air if you're worried about freezing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks