Peroxide injector proglems

Users who are viewing this thread

rjgogo

Reaction score
I have a hydrogen peroxide injector solution to deal with rotten egg water odor and am having a problem.

The pump used to only run when a faucet was calling for water. Now it does not shut off even when the all faucets are closed. I have manually turned it off. We did have a situation where we ran dry due to a well issue but that has been corrected. While we were getting a new well drilled I unplugged the water treatment products while we were back feeding water from a delivered tank.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Ummm, we need a lot more information. There are hundreds of pumps, dozens of ways to activate pumps, thousands of different installation styles... can you give us something to work with? Pump type? Pictures, how it activates. You basically just said "my car is making a noise, any ideas?"

rjgogo

Reaction score
IMG_1908.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG
IMG_1912.JPG
Ummm, we need a lot more information. There are hundreds of pumps, dozens of ways to activate pumps, thousands of different installation styles... can you give us something to work with? Pump type? Pictures, how it activates. You basically just said "my car is making a noise, any ideas?"

Does this help
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
I can't locate info on what is within the black sleeve located within the junction box (ie: blue wires). If there is a relay or other type of switch in there, it maybe malfunctioning and the reason for continuous power to the pump.

The issue is more likely the flow switch stuck in the closed position, which then continues to provide power to the pump even when water is not flowing.

There maybe debris stuck in the switch which needs to be cleared-out or, the flow switch may need to be replaced. The switch plunger is spring loaded but should move easily when pressure is applied.
Here is a link to a video on dismantling the 1800/1801 flow switch: http://catalog.thomasprod.com/item/thomas-products-flow-switch-fixed-set-point/1800-series/42545

Last edited:

rjgogo

Reaction score
Thanks, I wish they had of installed a shut off there, Looks like I can take it apart though it will be messy.

We did have an issue when the well ran dry and it tried to regen with no water. When I found out I unplugged everything until we got the new well drilled and functioning.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, I wish they had of installed a shut off there, Looks like I can take it apart though it will be messy.
Turn off the well pump and drain the water pressure. There is usually a drain valve near the pressure switch.

rjgogo

Reaction score
Turn off the well pump and drain the water pressure. There is usually a drain valve near the pressure switch.
There is not one there. Only by the pressure take which is in the crawlspace, This is in an addition that was put in at some point by one of the previous owners. But I can drain it there. and probably the rest of the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is not one there. Only by the pressure take which is in the crawlspace, This is in an addition that was put in at some point by one of the previous owners. But I can drain it there. and probably the rest of the house.
Open one or two other valves to drain what you can. Choose the lowest. But yes, you may spill some water. Got a wet-dry vacuum cleaner? That could help. Otherwise, towels and a bucket will have to do.

Maybe you could add a faucet and a ball valve as part of this project. The faucet could drain water, it could be used to draw a pre-treatment water sample, and if you use a boiler drain valve with a garden hose thread, you could screw a pressure gauge to that if you liked.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I would expect there is a whole house shutoff valve downstream of the pressure tank. If you ever needed to shut off the water quickly (pipe leak?), you wouldn't want to wait until the pressure tank is empty before water stops flowing.

Once the house flow is shut off, opening any faucet should then relieve the system pressure. Opening a faucet higher than the flow switch (upstairs?) will let air enter the lines, allowing water to flow by gravity to a lower level faucet, hopefully located below the elevation of the flow switch. Little water should then remain when you remove the flow switch 'bonnet'.

If there is no faucet below the flow switch elevation, you could possibly use the water heater drain faucet to drain off some water. It maybe good opportunity to drain off sediment from the WH.

rjgogo

Reaction score
Thanks all for you assistance, especially the video to take apart the switch. I had never seen one of those prior to having this installed. I figured out a way to drain the system to install the water heater, I will figure it out again, as I don't recall. Unfortunately the only drain is at the pressure tank or the water heater. As suggested, it might me a good time to install one in that room so I can drain into the sump.

rjgogo

Reaction score
Thanks to Bannerman's video link I have repaired the issue. The switch was all guncked up with iron deposits. Let it soak in CLR for a half an hour and hit it with a tooth brush and rinsed it off. Without the help I would have had no way to know how to disassemble the switch. Pretty easy fix, and I learned something new. Thanks Again.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Glad that it was a simple fix.

Did you happen to look into whatever is in the black sleeve in the junction box? I couldn't locate any description for future reference. In your photo, there appears to be cube shaped object within, possibly an over current device (circuit breaker).

rjgogo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it is some type of relay, about 99% sure. I don't think they would put line voltage in the sensor. My guess is it senses a closed or open state in the sensor I cleaned, and then calls for power to the pump given the status.

Thank you again for the link to the video. My initial plan prior to posting was to find and buy a new one, cut the pipe apart and glue everything back together, a full afternoon job at best. I had no idea it was serviceable. You saved me a ton of time, aggravation and money, and I already spent enough of that on the new 510ft well. This was a side effect. I am glad I recalled this site from a previous remodel project. What a wealth of information that could not have been seen 20 years ago.

I see that you are in Canada. I have spent considerable time in Ontario, mostly in the GTA, great Country and Province. I was in BC for work two weeks ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks