Permitting

Discussion in 'UPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by Brett bates, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Brett bates

Brett bates New Member

Are you required to pull a permit when paralleling an existing system. I have three bathrooms that need the water piping replaced but no relocation of fixtures and no additional fixtures to be added. Also we will not be replacing the service line. I am looking for the code # in UPC that I can show to the building official that a permit is not required for paralleling an existing system
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

If you need a permit or not has nothing to do with the UPC. That is up to your building dept.

John
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A repipe requires a plumbing permit in Washington State. It is after all, still plumbing.

In Guatemala, I saw a lot of copy cat plumbing. Very little of it would have met current plumbing codes.
  4. Brett bates

Brett bates New Member

Thanks guys I did find it. It was located in permit exemption section of yes the "UPC" book.
  5. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

Unless it has been adopted without modification by your local jurisdiction, whatever you may find in the UPC per se is irrelevant. The unamended copy of the UPC I have
    at hand is quite clear that the sort of work you describe does require a permit.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Maybe there is something I don't understand. Well, there's a lot I don't understand, but in this case, I don't understand why people seem so reluctant to get a permit to do work. Some even assure us that their job won't be inspected. I find it hard to believe that someone would deliberately do illegal work, so other than a few dollars to verify the work was done properly, what's the big deal. If in doubt, get a permit. If the authorities say it isn't needed, fine, you've saves a few dollars. So what's the big deal about pulling a permit?
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A permit is partially to ensure it is done correctly, but MOSTLY to update your building's records so they can increase your taxes to reflect the new status of the building. As far a water repiping is concerned it usually depends on how MUCH is being changed. I believe, but it has been a long time since I checked, that if you change more than 20% of the piping it needs a permit. It is immaterial whether you are "duplicating" an existing system or not.
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Guess avoiding a tax increase is a reason to skip a permit.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

As long as you do the job in excess of the code requirements, so is avoiding the time and hassle of dealing with the building department and inspectors.