Permanent weed solution: Poly Ground cover Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a landscaping issue and could use some tips. I live in the high desert of california. I have a horseshoe shaped driveway with a semi circle of gray sandy dirt terrain in front of the house. I'm having multiple tons of decorative sand delivered to cover this area. I would like to eliminate any future weed issues permanently. So does anyone have experience with laying down landscaping grade poly-measuring and staking it down? thanks...Mike

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I tried it years ago, I've seen it done in many places and while I can't say it never works, but I know mine didn't and many that I have seen end up full of weeds. For me, chemical control works best. I keep my rose bed weed free using Caseron (I think Preen would also work well) These do not kill weeds but prevent weeds from coming through the soil. The do not harm shrubs, trees, or other plants as long as the surface of the ground is not disturbed. I usually apply it once a year at the most. If I break the surface, I might get a lone weed or two, but they are easily pulled. On other areas that I want to keep bare, I find about 3 applications of Round-Up to work well. Round-Up only kills growing plants, that why the repeat applications are required. I've seen ads on a new Round-Up that is supposed to prevent weeds from coming up, but I have not read up on it as of yet. Besides, I have a pretty good supply of the other on hand. Caseron is just broadcast by hand. Round-Up is sprayed with a hand sprayer. Once you have the weeds under control..as much as weeds are ever under control.. it's not difficult to keep the areas clean.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I may just try all these methods and hope for the best. If you know how the poly is secured to the ground--let me know....

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I should probably just nuke the area with Roundup as you suggested. If the Poly doesn't work out--it would be a real fiasco to remove it from underneath TONS & TONS of sand. Luckily for me I only live 10 miles from the biggest supplier/quarry in the Southwest.

ajpa

Reaction score
I saw biodegradable weed paper at the store recently, haven't used it myself, but that way you wouldn't worry about digging it up again. I know some people who like using cardboard (like from boxes), you lay it down then wet it before adding the either planting / top soil(if your planting) or mulch, or both. Since you can usually get free boxes from a bunch of places it's a cheap easy weed barrier. I wonder too with the poly in your heat if it would break to pieces quickly.

I haven't seen sand as a mulch -- is it common there? Usually if there are kids sandboxes there's always a problem with critters using it as a litter box.
The nearest similar mulch here in the northeast would be pebbles.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm going to nuke the ground with weed killer and hope for the best. I live in the southern california desert near Palm Springs and it's all sand here mate. Many weeds simply die from the extreme heat in summer when temps are routinely in the triple digits. Usually 100-112+

Speedbump

Reaction score
One thing about the poly and all the other liners. After a while, just dust landing on this covering is enough for some weeds to get started, then pretty soon they are all living on top of the poly.

The guy I bought my house from used the cheese cloth look alike stuff (I can't remember it's name) then put rocks all over it. Now the weeds grow on top and the chickens from next door scratch the rocks all over the yard.

I think I would rather deal with the weeds.

bob...

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One thing about the poly and all the other liners. After a while, just dust landing on this covering is enough for some weeds to get started, then pretty soon they are all living on top of the poly.

The guy I bought my house from used the cheese cloth look alike stuff (I can't remember it's name) then put rocks all over it. Now the weeds grow on top and the chickens from next door scratch the rocks all over the yard.

I think I would rather deal with the weeds.

bob...

Your point reminded me of why I cannot use Poly. We all use hula-hoe to eradicate weeds. The Poly will impede that because it cant "bite" into the soil. It would be a mess in fact. Too bad we can't use those whirling weed whackers...but as I said it's all sand here.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You can use a weed whacker, but you had better be wearing some protective gear. They sure can fling things around.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You can use a weed whacker, but you had better be wearing some protective gear. They sure can fling things around.

It's pointless because only the hula hoe will remove the root. I'm talking about an acre BTW...this isn't a suburban rose garden mate. lol

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you remove the root, more will come. That's why their called weeds I think. I have 180 foot of 4' deep 8' wide ditch to do in front of my house. If I removed the roots, the erosion would be terrible. So I have to use a weed whip. I hate doing it, but nobody has volunteered to do it for me so far.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
A decade ago, my mother had her place "professionally" landscaped, they put black plastic all over the place to keep down weeds, then put mulch on top. It looked good, for a couple months, but every weed seed that landed on top of the mulch grew. The black plastic only prevents weeds that are already there from coming through.

Because my mom wasn't a diligent weeder, the place was soon just as infested with weeds as before the plastic was laid down, but the problem was worse, because the roots grew through the plastic and into the ground underneath, anchoring it there.

In some places, the plastic was that "mesh" with tiny holes in it, and other places it was solid. If you aren't diligent about removing every weed that sprouts, you will have this problem, then you also have the problem of being unable to remove the plastic when you want to change the landscaping.

Corrugated cardboard (especially refrigerator boxes) is an excellent weed barrier, but you can use newspapers too, laying it very thick (at least ten layers, overlapping the edges).

For weed prevention, use "corn gluten meal" which prevents weed seeds from germinating. You can get it at nurseries (Preen is one, but there are two types of Preen, read the label for the one that is made with corn gluten meal) but you can get it cheaper at feed stores like Agway. Apply the corm gluten meal in early spring and every few weeks throughout the growing season.

Cookie

Reaction score
By any chance are you related to the Floral Blumengarten's?
If you are, you got wonderful flowers and plants, and I have dealt with your business for years. :)

Blumengarten

Reaction score
No, I just picked that screen name because there's a florist in my hometown named "Jim Ludwig's Blumengarten" and I thought that was a real cool name!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You should use the fabric type ground cover, so that any rain water permeates through, rather than puddling. It will keep weeds from under, but inevitably weed seed blow into the top cover...whether it be sand, bark, etc. So periodic applications of roundup may be unavoidable. They have versions of roundup type products now which are advertised has having season-long residual effect.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You should use the fabric type ground cover, so that any rain water permeates through, rather than puddling. It will keep weeds from under, but inevitably weed seed blow into the top cover...whether it be sand, bark, etc. So periodic applications of roundup may be unavoidable. They have versions of roundup type products now which are advertised has having season-long residual effect.

I have found a solution. This company specializes in a landscaping sand called "Palm Springs Gold" It is a specialty blend of many tiny rocks mixed with sand. And it has just enough clay to help with this problem. When you water the sand it forms a substantial hard crust. However if you walk on it--it breaks up once again. I think I'll have a big old boulder delivered as well.
http://www.whitewater-rock.com/

Last edited:

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Not a believer in any kind of "weed barrier". Seems too good to be true. I have a 1-gallon pump sprayer and I keep it full w/ round-up. Love the stuff. Easy to apply, and works as advertised.

Too late now, but the smartest thing I've learned to do is use the broadcast spreader with a winterizer / weed-n-feed product in late Fall. I'm definitely seeing fewer weeds so far this year than last year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks