Percentage of drain pipes - 3 or 4 inch

Users who are viewing this thread

NotNewbie

Reaction score
A question about wax free gaskets in another post got me thinking about drain pipe sizes. Every drain pipe i've ever encountered was 3 inch diameter. i would estimate that probably 80% of the drain pipes in the USA are 3 inch, as compared to 4 inch. would you agree?

only Fluidmaster makes the Universal 3" and 4" diameter wax free gasket. Fernco only makes 3" OR 4" ...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most water closet flanges are 4"x3", sort of like a shallow funnel toward the smaller 3" pipe.
And then there are the 4" flanges.

All of the wax I see is 4" which works with all of the flanges.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
A question about wax free gaskets in another post got me thinking about drain pipe sizes. Every drain pipe i've ever encountered was 3 inch diameter. i would estimate that probably 80% of the drain pipes in the USA are 3 inch, as compared to 4 inch. would you agree?

only Fluidmaster makes the Universal 3" and 4" diameter wax free gasket. Fernco only makes 3" OR 4" ...

I think it depends on the area your in and the age of the buildings, in chicago where my parents apartment building/store is which is an early 1900s building three of the four toilets sit on a 4" drain line and i would say a very high percentage of toilets in chicago sit on a 4" drain and not 3", but where we live in the suburbs all the houses are newer and all have 3" drain lines to the toilets.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks