Penetrating a brick wall with 4" pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Mills

Reaction score
I just replaced some rusted out cast iron with PVC. The pipe penetrated a stone foundation wall into a crawl space. The cast had mortar around it to seal the penetration, but I had to chip it away because the PVC was slightly larger. I have plenty of clearance for the PVC, but how should I seal the penetration now?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe some spray foam? Hydraulic cement would seal it, but since pvc expands and contracts a lot, not sure that would be a great idea.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Mortar in around one side with a standard mortar-mix, then a healthy bead of "Windows & Doors" type can foam for the weather seal. which is far more flexible than the standard polyurethane can foams. If it has to look good on both sides, only fill about 1/4 of the depth with the expanding foam, and if begins to poke out as it cures, push it back in sufficiently to give you a half-inch to an inch for mortaring up the second side. Over time & temperature you may eventually see a thin separation between the mortar & PVC, but the flexible can-foam will maintain the air seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks