Penetrating a brick wall with 4" pvc

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jim mills, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jim mills

jim mills New Member

I just replaced some rusted out cast iron with PVC. The pipe penetrated a stone foundation wall into a crawl space. The cast had mortar around it to seal the penetration, but I had to chip it away because the PVC was slightly larger. I have plenty of clearance for the PVC, but how should I seal the penetration now?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Maybe some spray foam? Hydraulic cement would seal it, but since pvc expands and contracts a lot, not sure that would be a great idea.
  3. jim mills

jim mills New Member

I was thinking spray foam as well, but thought it would look "un-professional".
  4. Smooky

Smooky Member

5. Dana

Dana In the trades

Mortar in around one side with a standard mortar-mix, then a healthy bead of "Windows & Doors" type can foam for the weather seal. which is far more flexible than the standard polyurethane can foams. If it has to look good on both sides, only fill about 1/4 of the depth with the expanding foam, and if begins to poke out as it cures, push it back in sufficiently to give you a half-inch to an inch for mortaring up the second side. Over time & temperature you may eventually see a thin separation between the mortar & PVC, but the flexible can-foam will maintain the air seal.
  6. jim mills

jim mills New Member

Thanks Dana, that's probably about as good a method as can be described.
  7. jm66208

jm66208 New Member

I believe that IRC states that a PVC pipe must be sleeved if passing through a brick wall.