Pegasus Shower Valve - No Cold Water

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob_Alias

Reaction score
At LONG last, I've completed my shower remodel (well, finished a job left incomplete by a contractor - whole different story :mad:).

The Pegusus 1000 series shower-only valve was installed and only a small trickle of cold water flows. What I've tried, so far:

1) Removed the faceplate and opened the hot and cold screw-stops fully, but still only a trickle of cold water.
2) Tightened both screw stops, removed the cartridge, then slowly opened the screw-stop for the cold water side, but just a trickle of water came out.

Question #1: shouldn't a jet of water been released when I performed step #2, above? Since only a trickle flowed, that means I have no water pressure in the inlet line that is connected to valve body, right?

I'm thinking the only way to test the water pressure for the cold water line is to cut the pipe, then turn-on the main water line and see if any water flows (into a bucket, of course).

Am I on the right track, here?

Thanks, very much, for any replies.

Bob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on where the pressure balance valve is...it may be stuck. Do you have a parts breakdown for the valve? Often, the cartridge just mixes the hot and cold, the pressure balance valve is separate.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is a pressure balancing problem...
Sorry to hear you've got a Pegasus mixer...

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
There are a small handfiul of fixtures/valves I inform customers I refuse to install if they're buying fixtures.
Pegasus is at the top of the list for the EXACT reason you just started this thread over.

I know this is a DIY forum, but you just made a basic mistake that any decent plumber would have avoided.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The Pegasus pressure balancer should be a hex "bolt" at the lower right side of the valve. Remove it and tap it on the floor until you can feel it moving back and forth when you shake it.

Bob_Alias

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, everyone.

Yes, I have learned a very valuable and expensive lesson regarding nice looking, but cheaply manufactured plumbing products.

HJ, I'll give your suggestion a try and hope for the best.

Thanks, again, all!

Bob

Bob_Alias

Reaction score
I located the pressure balancer hex bolt, loosened it, but it can't be removed (figures!). I can't help but think what a very poor design this is.

I tapped (banged) on it while it was loose and put everything back together.

Ta-dah! Cold water now flows, but not with the same pressure as the hot water. So, I guess the valve is now "sticking" vs. just being stuck. I'll try "tapping" it again and see if it results in more equal pressure from the cold water.

If it doesn't work, I'm just going to live with the weak pressure until I can get over my buyers remorse and tear into that wall on the other side of the faucet. Sigh...I will bash Pegasus products until my dying day.

Thanks, again, for your help. Very much appreciated.

Bob

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
balancer

IT should have just slid out when you loosened it. Get the Pegasus number from HD and call them for a new one. It also looks like the one from Danze, if I remember correctly.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can do it, we can help. with cheap crap improted from China. :D

Pegasus and Glacier Bay... A match made in Hell:mad:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks