Pegasus Shower Tub Valve Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

gmpg19

Reaction score
I recently turned on my secondary shower to find that the hot water side of the divertor no longer produced hot water. I removed the trim plate and could see nothing out of the ordinary. Any suggestions on a fix? the unit is basically new as it is only used when company is in town. Unfortunately I have company for Christmas and no hot water -- please I need help.

Thank you

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The balancing spool is stuck! It is an internal part. The valve needs to be disassembled are you going to DIY or, call a plumber?

gmpg19

Reaction score
DYI I took the internal apart and found nothing ?? nothing appears to be stuck, the spool was moving freely, there was 2 ports I presume hot and cold. However I can only get cold out of the volumne control valves, the adjustment screw on the hot turns in and out but no water will come out until the cold adjustment volumne control is turned out. Even when I take out the stops on the spindle shaft and free spool the valve 360 degrees I still get no hot. It will shut off in 2 spots as I turn the spindle but no where on the rotation will it give me hot. The vanity beside the tub gets hot though???

Thanks

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
The balancing spool is stuck! It is an internal part. The valve needs to be disassembled are you going to DIY or, call a plumber?

Bingo.
I had the "pleasure" of installing just one Pegasus..sold to the customer by HD.
The balancing cartridge ceased in the time it took to put up drywall & tile.

You can tell it's stuck by shaking the stem while it's out...the cartridge will rattle if it's working right. It slides inside the stem freely.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've installed a couple of pegasus faucets. I thought they seemed like very high quality. Has the experience been that all pegasus stuff is junk?

Tom

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Junk?
I wouldn't say that.
Last year the Pegasus shower valve had no tolerance, so if you missed the rough-in by 1/4" you were in trouble.

This year I installed one, and the tolerance was better, not much, but better. The directions were wrong though. If I had followed them, it would have been a mistake.

For a retrofit, it's a different pipe measurement from the wall than for Delta or Moen.
that means you need room to add fittings to make it work.
It would be nice if their designers were working in the same world we are in. They didn't have to make it so hard to work with these things.

With so much Delta, Moen and Grohe to be had, why would someone buy Pegasus?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is a screen shot of the 1/2 time ad Pegasus played at the super bowl last year...

crap.jpg

:D Well okay its better than Glacier Bay!

Last edited by a moderator:

gmpg19

Reaction score
Pegasus Shwr valve

The valve seems OK, I have another Pegasus in another room and when I exchanged the balancing cartirdge it made no difference. I still had no hot water. Is there a specific way these need to go in? or isd there a trick to the install I am not seeing? Is there any other adjustment on these? I have tried all else outside of changing outn the valve. Does Pegasus have replacement parts available and if so were can I find them?

Thanks

Bingo.
I had the "pleasure" of installing just one Pegasus..sold to the customer by HD.
The balancing cartridge ceased in the time it took to put up drywall & tile.

You can tell it's stuck by shaking the stem while it's out...the cartridge will rattle if it's working right. It slides inside the stem freely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks