Pegasus Problem

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jonM, Dec 1, 2009.

1. jonM

jonM New Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a curious problem with a Pegasus shower only single handle unit that I installed for an outdoor shower (read "set in stone (well stucco)"). For the past two years the unit has worked perfectly. Last month the cold water just stopped. I have removed the cartridge and only hot flows- no cold. The flow stops are full open. I even tried blowing air into the cold line from the cold flow hole (with nearby hose bib full open) and nothing...

There is a large (1" or so) bolt head on the cold side of the unit that I haven't messed with yet.. it looks like it must be an adjustment access hole cover or ? .. maybe something there..

any suggestions or ideas??

Jon
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Sounds like a balance spool, which is stuck. Call Peg/GB for parts.
  3. jonM

jonM New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

balance spool

If it DID NOT come out when you removed the cap, it is broken. You have to get a new balance spool, (it is one piece and attached to the "cap"). Then extract that piece from the valve before installing the new one.
  5. jonM

jonM New Member

Thank you. I must say you have been much more helpful than the guys at my local Home Depot... they just have no idea. And the old plumber there that I spoke with today said (while on duty and in uniform mind you) that I should "not have bought Pegasus because it is crap!"

Live and learn...

I'll fish out the broken spool and replace it with a new one if I can find it. If not, I'll open up the wall and install a Moen.

Jon
  6. trojanhorse

trojanhorse Tony

Where do I call for Pegasus Balance Spool parts. Can you give me some info, please. Thanks