Pegasus Diverter stuck - how to get into it?

Users who are viewing this thread

RJ.

Reaction score
Hi, I've bought a home with newish looking faucets. Some are Pegasus, so I assume this tub faucet may be too but not sure.
Anyway the tub diverter is stuck on shower; it won't pivot to tub/faucet or move any direction. The water control handle (above the diverter) can be removed with allen wrench. I see no other screws or fasteners holding things on.
I want to remove this whole round assembly to see what's wrong or stuck. It can be rotated left or right a few inches by hand, so I assume it screws off, but seems being held back by the diverter handle.
How do I get the diverter handle off? Does it pull straight off? (or unscrew or what?) I'm afraid to pull too hard on it unless I know that's how to remove it.
Any other tips about this situation? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 955
  • IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 960

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm thinking that the cone behind the handle would spin off. Normally that is what holds the plate to the wall.
That may be Pegasus or Glacier Bay. Often that shower valves at Home Depot will not have support web sites. I try to link them, but whoever has the domain names for them isn't willing to maintain a web site for support for longer than a year or so.
Pretty handy for them. No support, no parts.

index.php

D113000BT.jpg

Last edited:

RJ.

Reaction score
Fixed it! Thanks Terry for helping me get it apart, and the diagrams above.
Thanks AJ, yes the part I used is for Danze and worked.

In case other homeowners inexperienced in repairs like me read this, here are instructions:
http://support.danze.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/446/kw/diverter part
Got the diverter part from http://tetersfaucetparts.com. They said there are three sizes.
Mine required 1 1/32 socket (plus 5/64 hex key to remove the handle, and screwdrivers.)
I didn't know you can shut off the water with the handy two screws on left and right! :rolleyes: I shut it off at the street.
Also glad I saw this good tip for dummies: cover the drain with a towel to prevent parts being lost down the drain.
The 1 1/32 nut came out easily but old part was still stuck in there. Pulled it out with pliers. Corroded.
Difficult keeping silly tiny plastic parts and spring on while reassembling. Important to align them as in the instructions, else you get water out of both showerhead and faucet. :( Then I forgot the plastic cover (bottom of Terry's diagram, in grey) which made screwing all back together frustrating haha till I remembered it.

I'm afraid these little parts may fail again later though. Guess this kind of thing is why these brands are disliked. Pegasus website seems like a cruel joke. Anyway I got it working for now with everyone's help. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Robjr3636

Reaction score
So does the cone spin off or do you have to pop it off? I’m also having trouble getting mine off.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks