Pedestal sink leak on drain, how to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pedestal sinks have their own issues when it comes to repair. I was called to this home because water was leaking into the downstairs. When this happens, I look high and work my way down. In this case it was the tail piece from the lav drain that had broken off.

pedestal-lav-broken-1.jpg

The chrome tube below the brass is broken off.

pedestal-lav-broken-2.jpg

I located a new pop-up assembly as a replacement, new p-trap and extension. the pedestal slides back in and covers all of this. And yes, it would have been nice if a long threaded tail piece had been on the van instead of the extension. At least it gets hidden.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Terry. Kinda wondering why you didn't replace that rusty box flange?

I was wondering the same thing after getting back from the hardware store. It's not what I typically have on the truck. And I was kicking myself for not remembering while I was there.
Leave it to another plumber to notice that. I almost didn't post the pics, but thought it was funny that the homeowner was sure the leak was in a wall somewhere.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
I sometimes think of situations like this in terms of forensic plumbing, although I doubt it took you very long to solve this mystery. I like to politely listen to the homeowner. A leak like this, they're ready for you to break out walls and ceiling. But sometimes when removing ceiling and walls is necessary, it's hard to convince them.

Thanks for the post. I also install pedestal sinks by making all my drainage connections first and then carefully sliding the pedestal into place. Much easier. The DD escutcheon you reused, adds a pleasant patina!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks