Pedestal sink install thru floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brambly

Reaction score
We are remodeling a 1940 house. The plumbling for the sink originally went thru the floor because there is major support beam under the wall where it normally would go. I purchased a pedestal sink for this location. A retired plumber friend is going to connect the the plumbling, however he says a pedestal sink can not be installed with plumbling thru the floor. I know in general it should go thru the wall, however in this case it can't. Is it true it can't go thru the floor or is he just going with what is traditional. Any special installation adjustments required with a thru the floor installation? I have a few friends with pedestal sinks installed with plumbling thru the floor. I really hope we can do this.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It probably can, but it might not look great. It might be hard to find solid risers long enough. It's not great to kick the lines, and that's more likely with a pedestal than inside of a vanity! Most people prefer the clean look of having the supplies more hidden. depends somewhat on the design of the pedestal.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
To run the line through the floor would require a S-trap which is not allowed.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Few pedestals will have enough room inside it for a drain AND water lines, if it did, the valves on the water lines would proably be unusable. You CAN install the drain into the floor, BUT, you would need sufficient space to install an AAV, which might NOT be too attractive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks