Pedestal sink in new home- supply lines through floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

HC

Reaction score
Please help! I am building a new home and the plumber has the hot and cold supply lines coming up through the floor. My builder states that this is the "easiest" way to do the plumbing and that the pedestal will hide the lines. The lines are about 3" off the wall and about 8" apart. Is this standard? Should I have the plumber move the supply lines to come out of the wall?
Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, so I can't answer whether this is "standard".
My house I grew up in, built in 1959, has a wall mounted sink in one of the bathrooms.
It has two straight chrome water lines coming straight up from the basement in a similar fashion to how you describe.
The install is nice looking and clean.

I'm replacing the sink, and considering using a pedestal sink.
i will continue without hesitation to use these type of water lines to the sink, because they look good in this installation.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
the pedestal won't hide the water lines if they are 8 inches apart. they shold be coming out of the wall. I put mine 4 inches apart at about 24 off finished floor, centered on the drain (the drain is centered on the sink)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not only won't the pedestal hide the lines, the lines and the valve and the escutcheons will all have to be chrome with rigid supply lines if you want it to look good.

HC

Reaction score
Cost for upgrade

TedL,
What do you think is a fair charge for this upgrade?

HC

Reaction score
TedL,
Thanks for the info!

HC

Reaction score
Any ballpark number. It is new construction, 5' x 6' 1/2 bath, on an inside wall. No obstructions in the way of heating/cooling and electric.

HC

Reaction score
Also, on 1st floor of home over unfinished portion of the basement.
Thanks!

Jastori

Reaction score
Is the sink on an exterior wall in a cold climate? That could be one reason for not running the supply in the wall.

Otherwise, I would say "standard" is to have the supplies in the wall. I would push for him to do it the "standard" way at no extra cost to you. Is the drywall up yet? If not, it is not a big deal to change it now (maybe an hour for the plumber). I doubt that the supplies will be hidden by the pedestal base (depends on the pedestal itself).

I would want the plumbing done in a way that is the most flexible for the long term. If you switch to a different sink (with a base cabinet) sometime down the line, you may not be happy with the supply in the floor. Plus, having the supplies in the floor is not convenient for cleaning (mopping around the pedestal base).

Last edited:

HC

Reaction score
Jastori,
Thank you for your advice! The sink is not on an exterior wall and the drywall is not up yet.

TedL

Reaction score
"Fair price" and "cost to builder" are often irrelevant in situations like this. You may want to see if he'll let you have your own plumber change it. Of course, they could still want to ding you for making the fixture setting "more difficult". If the first plumber's done with the rough in work, it's no cheaper for him to come back than any other plumber. And you're more likely to get a real, competent plumber hiring your own.

You have a contract you're trying to change. They have you by the....uh, where they want you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most pedestal sinks have VERY specific locations of both the drain and the water supplies, or the pedestal won't fit right. Before you move anything, make sure you have the pedestal and sink's installation instructions. Any decent one will have a diagram showing exactly where the valves and drain are supposed to be. Any other way is a guess, and not likely to come out well. The only standards are hot on the left and cold on the right.

HC

Reaction score
Actually, no where in the contract does it specify that the lines will come out of the floor.
This is a custom home and there are no "change orders". We can have anything done that we like- at the right price. So, what would someone charge to hook up a pedestal with supply lines off the wall instead of through the floor? If I have to, I will put in a furniture vanity.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
TedL,
Thanks for the info!

If the sink is drawn as a pedestal on the plan then it shouldn't be an upgrade, the plumber should just do it the right way. If it is drawn as a cabinet then it is hard to say without knowing what obstacles are in the way of preventing the plumber from just putting the lines in the wall..

Last edited:

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
pedestal

I usually rough in a pedestal sink drain @ 21", I put my hot and cold supplies 2" above the drain and 4" or 2" off the center of the drain to the left or right according to the faucet spread.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
This is a custom home and there are no "change orders". We can have anything done that we like- at the right price.

That sounds like a CO to me! When you say there no COs, then nothing can/will change ... my two cents.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Please help! I am building a new home and the plumber has the hot and cold supply lines coming up through the floor. My builder states that this is the "easiest" way to do the plumbing and that the pedestal will hide the lines. The lines are about 3" off the wall and about 8" apart. Is this standard? Should I have the plumber move the supply lines to come out of the wall?
Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like other posts said, you supposed to rough it in to the dimensions that the sink manufactor gives you, if the plumber didn't use them, his bad, make him change them at no charge.( of course if you didn't give him the paper work, your bad).

TedL

Reaction score
Actually, no where in the contract does it specify that the lines will come out of the floor.

But it also doesn't specify that they'll come out of the wall, or "at appropriate locations for use with ***X Pedestal Sink model ***xx to be installed", or we wouldn't be having this conversation; you'd be holding the contract in his face with your finger on the words. That leaves it up to the builder/plumber to decide details.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks