Pedestal and Sink Not Properly Fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

texask

Reaction score
I am installing a pedestal sink and have drilled the support bolts into the tile and wall about 1/2" higher than they should be, The sink is fully supported by the bolts in the wall but the sink is too high to fit down into the pedestal base. The base does not have a way to be bolted into the wall or the floor, it is meant to fit securely with the sink. The bolts are too close to where they should be so I can't just remove the bolts and move them a little lower. Any ideas on how to fix this? And how to make the pedestal base secure? Also the tile we have is vintage and I don't think I can easily find replacement tile.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I seriously DOUBT that the sink is fully supported by the bolts. Typically, the bolts in pedestal sinks are to prevent it pulling away from the wall, but not to take any weight. The sink MUST rest on the pedestal. Seems you can elongate the holes in the wall and use toggle bolts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A tile router can make the holes longer.
I like to use toggle bolts and larger fender washers. I reverse the toggle and use some 1/4/20 nuts to attach the lav. Sometimes I steal the nuts from a set of closet bolts.
Dang, there goes my secret.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Terry, do you agree that the sink may break if he is allowing the bolts to hold all the weight?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm with you. The toggle bolts hold the lav to the wall, and the pedestal supports it.

You have to drop the lav down, or put something on the floor below the pedestal and raise that up. You know what will happen when the grandkids come over. It could get very messy.

Or even some large adults that like to put their hands on the sink and lean in for support.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks