Patching No-hub Cast Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

TomSt

Reaction score
In the process of cutting and jack hammering a concrete slab to facilitate relocating a toilet, we hit the existing no-hub cast iron drain line. I patched it with JB Weld FiberWeld, which is basically fiberglass and epoxy. I was quite pleased with the result and thought I would share. I think this FiberWeld is the same material that is used to line failing cast iron pipes. It is airtight, water tight, and mechanically solid.

Attached are before and after photos. The patch is not super neat, because it's a bit hard to work with the fiber with sticky resin. But nobody's going to notice with 4" of concrete on it.

IMG_1580.jpg
IMG_1582.jpg
IMG_1589.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That submarine that imploded on the way to the Titanic comes to mind here.. A product that is strong for one certain force, may not be strong for the other opposite force. The patch may keep dirt from entering the pipe, but it won't seal waste from exiting if the drain becomes backed up.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have saved a few problem situations by using the patch material to bridge just the hole, then, use a good sticky paste epoxy to float over the cast iron.
Mostly on commercial storm water lines, rarely on sewer.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I often wondered which plumbing code / inspector would approve of of such shoddy work???

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
lets hope an inspector would have integrity to stop it, only a few would allow that , Id guess some would just sign card and assume the tradesman would fix it with out mention. I dont care if its a DIY or a Pro, that should only be temporary and no concrete poured owner should be aware and not pass that on to an unknowing sucker.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks