Patching LARGE hole around Sewer pipe in Foundation.

Users who are viewing this thread

AlexinSeattle

Reaction score
I have a house with a very large hole around the sewer pipe. Pipe is copper, if that matters. the hole is from 2" to 6" around pipe, crudely cut out.

I need to fill this, since I've been getting water through it. I seems too large for hydrolic cement.

I was thinking of wrapping the pipe with rope and some plastic, then filling the hole with regular cement. Once the cement cures, pull out the rope and plastic. this should give me some space between the cement and pipe to seal with a good waterproof caulk (velkum 116, or other) or some hydrolic cement.

I plan on using a bonding agent to help the old and new cement attach better.

Any thought on my plan???

thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Because, apparently, it is NOT a bad pipe, but a bad "hole in the wall". If you can patch the hole with concrete, that should bond to the pipe so it will not leak.

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score

AlexinSeattle

Reaction score
after reading a bit more about how copper and concrete don't play well together, I've decided to try my rope/plastic method to make a gap for the foam sealant.

Is the polyurethane spray foam that I read about the same as the foam stuff you get for installing windows?

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
your local big box store should have a 5" wide x about 1/8" thick roll of foam wrap. Half a dozen wraps around your pipe will provide the needed expansion room -- and unless you've got a really bad hydrostatic pressure issue, should provide sufficient seal on it's own

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks