Patching hole in concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

semto

Reaction score
Hi,
I am getting ready to patch a hole that I made in the concrete slab to add a shower to a basement bathroom.

I have refilled the hole about 6 inches (with the same dirt that I got out) and compacted with a garden tamper. Is that sufficient compaction before I add another layer? Is there any way of 'measuring' the compaction? When do I know that I can add another layer? Or does it not matter too much? I am building a shower over the slab so it would be really bad if it were to crack...

I am thinking of using rebar for the concrete. Any suggestions as to how I would lay that out?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• WIN_20160417_124641.JPG
    WIN_20160417_124641.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 524

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
After you properly finish and wrap your plumbing connection (is it permitted, will you have a city inspector sign it off?) find out form your building dept how to do the slab. Minimum requirements vary from region to region.

In my area, we put 2" gravel, 6 mm visqueen (or 10 mm if you can find it). You want to use rebars? 1/2" (#4) 12" apart going east-west and north-south. Concrete should be a minimum of 3-1/2" deep, and bring it up to the existing slab. Check if you need insulation.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
If you have put all the soil in that you to out then you obviously have compacted it more than it was compacted before. I would fill the remainder of the hole with gravel. No compaction of gravel is necessary. I would not use re-bar for such a small hole. If it makes you feel better use a little wire in the bottom third of the concrete patch.

semto

Reaction score
You need to use a san-tee and a separate vent. It looks like the "vent" is really a drain for something else...
Hi,
Sorry the small picture but the vent is an actual vent. It is used as a wet vent for the shower a sink and a toilet in this bathroom.

semto

Reaction score
After you properly finish and wrap your plumbing connection (is it permitted, will you have a city inspector sign it off?) find out form your building dept how to do the slab. Minimum requirements vary from region to region.

In my area, we put 2" gravel, 6 mm visqueen (or 10 mm if you can find it). You want to use rebars? 1/2" (#4) 12" apart going east-west and north-south. Concrete should be a minimum of 3-1/2" deep, and bring it up to the existing slab. Check if you need insulation.

Thanks for your reply. The plumbing has been inspected and passed. He didn't do a pressure test as someone suggested on here, maybe because it is an addition to an existing bathroom? I will look into the slab requirements but I figured it would be fine if I matched the existing slab? Thanks again!

semto

Reaction score
If you have put all the soil in that you to out then you obviously have compacted it more than it was compacted before. I would fill the remainder of the hole with gravel. No compaction of gravel is necessary. I would not use re-bar for such a small hole. If it makes you feel better use a little wire in the bottom third of the concrete patch.

Thank you, that makes sense to try and get in as much of the soil that I took out. That answers much of my question. I agree it is a small hole but since I am building a shower over it, I want to be extra careful and do rebars even if it may be overkill. I am especially worried because one side is just the wall and nothing would be supporting the slab...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If, as it appears, you connected to a line going down on an angle, the inspector must have been one of those who failed as a plumbing contractor so he because an inspector, since he did NOT recognize an "S" trap when he saw one. It should have been connected with a sanitary tee, NOT a combination Y-1/8 bend.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If, as it appears, you connected to a line going down on an angle, the inspector must have been one of those who failed as a plumbing contractor so he because an inspector, since he did NOT recognize an "S" trap when he saw one. It should have been connected with a sanitary tee, NOT a combination Y-1/8 bend.

Yes. It should have been a santee.
The lav wet vents the shower. The plumber almost had it right.

Sluggo

Reaction score
The last time I patched a hole like that I used a masonry bit to put several 2 inch deep holes around the perimeter. Then I took 4 inch lengths of rebar and epoxied them in to the holes. That way the patch was tied in to the rest of the slab and I didn't have to worry about any part of it dropping. Might be overkill, but I didn't worry about the tile job sitting on top of it afterwards.

semto

Reaction score
Yes. It should have been a santee.
The lav wet vents the shower. The plumber almost had it right.

Is this a huge issue? Would it be worth disassembling the whole thing now? I have tried it with water down the shower drain. I haven't noticed
the p-trap being siphoned out. Thanks!

semto

Reaction score
The last time I patched a hole like that I used a masonry bit to put several 2 inch deep holes around the perimeter. Then I took 4 inch lengths of rebar and epoxied them in to the holes. That way the patch was tied in to the rest of the slab and I didn't have to worry about any part of it dropping. Might be overkill, but I didn't worry about the tile job sitting on top of it afterwards.

Thanks for your reply! I think that should work very well especially in the narrow area near the toilet drain. I am still wondering if it may be worth having rebars all the way across in the wider area. The added work does not seem to be too much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks