patching ceiling and walls

Users who are viewing this thread

chaoster

Reaction score
I just had some lights and ceiling fans installed. There are holes all over the ceiling and a few on the walls. This is an old plaster house. How do I patch the holes? What would I use for the joint compound to stick to? TIA

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What kind of holes?

Little nail holes or giant this-is-where-the-old-light-fixture-was holes? For the former, any good vinyl spackle will do. For the latter, I just cut a piece of drywall to match the hole. I use a piece of 1x behind the hole, fastened to the existing wall/ceiling with drywall screws (for a plaster surface, drill pilot holes). Then fasten the patch piece to the 1x and finish conventionally. (Purists will insist on real plaster, but I can't help you there.) You can buy drywall in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" thickness -- pick the closest which is less than the thickness of the plaster. Lowe's is selling 1/2" in small pieces - 2' x 2', for a few bucks, so you don't have to schlep a full 4' x 8' piece home.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Mikey mentioned, vinyl spackle is perfect for this. I like the DAP brand best. You may have to stir it up first, because it separates out after sitting for a while on the shelf. If the plaster has a swirly texture to it, you can knife the vinyl spackle on and swirl it as you go. That way you can fill the holes and match the texture, and you won't even have to do any sanding.

For larger holes, like a large toggle bolt would make, I just cover them with a piece of mesh tape and then do the same thing as with the smaller holes.

For even bigger holes (larger than an inch) it would be easiest to use one of those thin metal patches that you can cut to size, and then spackle over it.

chaoster

Reaction score
I went to a home depot today. looked around and saw some of the patch kits they had. they had the mesh and the metal one. Do these types of patches really work?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My first experience with patching walls and ceilings was before all of the new patching kits and etc. were available. Here are some of the methods I use. Nail holes are easy to fill with spackle or joint compound. Overfill and sand down. If it's a dimple in the drywall, 2 or 3 applications of compound with sanding in between will usually be necessary to make it invisible. Real holes, large or small, should first be cut back to solid drywall and squared off. They need to have solid backing to attach the patch. On smaller holes, a piece of 1/4" plywood that will slip in behind the hole and extend to the sides will work. Hold it in place with either a nail or screw in the center or with a string through a couple of holes drilling in the center until you can screw through the existing drywall and into the plywood. Sometimes 2 pieces are easier to get in place than just one. Next, cut a patch that will fit the hole and use tape and joint compound to finish the repair. On large areas, I like to cut out and square off rafter to rafter or stud to stud, and sister 2x2s to them. I always use screws and a power driver to do this as hammering nails into old hard 2x4s while keeping the 2x2 flush is very difficult. These sisters give you something to drive screws into to hold the patch without getting too close to the edge of the patch. I also put screws in the existing drywall to make sure there's no sag. Now cut a patch to fit the hole, screw it into place, and finish with tape and joint compound. To repair cracks like sometimes occur around ceiling electrical fixture, I use old panty hose and joint compound. This mesh helps keep the crack from reappearing. Oh yeah, I'm not opposed to new stuff, I find the fiberglass tape that is self adhering to be great!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
chaoster said:
I went to a home depot today. looked around and saw some of the patch kits they had. they had the mesh and the metal one. Do these types of patches really work?

You never said how large the holes are. There's a different approach depending on their size.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
chaoster said:
most holes are 2"x6" to 2" by 10".

If the wood lath is still in good shape, maybe you can try re-plastering those areas.

Or, perhaps you can find a drywall thickness that gets you flush with the plaster around it. Then you can tape around the seams and use regular drywall mud.

Last edited:

TriesHarder

Reaction score
New Patch Kit for Drywall & Plaster

Go to any Ace, True Value or Do-It-Best Hardware Store and ask for BY NAME: Wall & Ceiling Repair Kit For Dummies. Midwest manufacturer has developed a complete and economic patch kit for dents, dings & nail holes...through cracks, small holes and holes up to 12" square. Spectrum of wall and ceiling damage is organized into color-coded steps on poster-style instructions that can be posted for hands-free reference right next to repairs. TREMENDOUS for novice drywall/plaster repairs. Instructions photographically demonstrate best practices. Google Wall & Ceiling Repair Kit For Dummies for online purchase. Much less expensive than buying products individually: 1 pint joint compound, 1 tube spackling, putty knife, 25 ft. self adhesive mesh tape, 4" x 4" metal mesh, self-adhesive patch, 6" x 6" metal mesh, self adhesive patch, 4 self-adhesive drywall patch fasteners (for new drywall patch), 2-sided sanding disk, vinyl gloves, sheetrock screws, 2 foam touch-up brushes PLUS direct, easy to use instructions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks