Passive recirculation loop with mixing valve at heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm remodeling my home and am planning on designing the supply around a passive recirculation loop. I have one in my house now and it works great. The new home meets the requirements (water heater at lowest point). My question is this, we are planning on using a high efficiency gas water heater which uses a mixing valve on it's supply side. I'm wondering if this will interfere with the function of the passive loop? Any ideas?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The mixing valve operates by adding cold water to the hot as it flows through. ANY circulation system works by moving the hot water, but since there is no "flow" the cold water does not get added so the circulation temperature will eventually equal the hot water heater's temperature, unless the flow control modulated the hot water to shut if off if the temperature got extreme, which few do.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The mixing valve operates by adding cold water to the hot as it flows through. ANY circulation system works by moving the hot water, but since there is no "flow" the cold water does not get added so the circulation temperature will eventually equal the hot water heater's temperature, unless the flow control modulated the hot water to shut if off if the temperature got extreme, which few do.

I think you will need to pump it, and add an aquastat to prevent overheating the water. Grundfoss makes one that cuts the pump off at 108 degrees.
You can't pump the recirc without the aquastat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks