Partially Closed Shutoff

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by essjay, Aug 29, 2013.

1. essjay

essjay New Member

Had 'annual' servicing done to combi boiler yesterday and tech could not answer my question....

There is a shutoff ball valve on the baseboard heat supply side pipe of the circulator pump (3 zones, 1 pump) that I assume is for future isolation of pump in case it must be replaced. It is located prior to any zone valve and is only partially opened. My question as to why it is not fully open could not be answered. The tech stated that he sees alot like that but does not know why and would have to ask someone. Anyone know why these are only partially closed/opened on it seems alot of other systems this tech services?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Lazy service people who only move the handle far enough to get flow. if it is ahead of the pump, it could also be causing damage to the pump if it is not fully open.
  3. mikeplummer

mikeplummer Plumber

I have seen guys try to use a ball valve to control flow - this may be the case. ball valves should be either fully open or fully closed - any flow through a partially open ball valve will erode the ball and eventually render it useless