partially blocked hot water to shower

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by peltaz, Nov 18, 2008.

1. peltaz

peltaz New Member

I recently completed a small plumbing repair that required the opening and closing of a seldom used hot water shutoff several times. Recently the hot water pressure to a shower on that line suddenly decreased to less than half. The other fixtures on the same branch have not had any reduction in pressure. My best guess is that part of the shutoff washer has broken loose. It is a pretty old shutoff. Now the hard question. How do I locate it and get it out. Thanks.
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I would unscrew the showerhead from the showerarm and check the restrictor for debris plugging it up.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

water

The new shower valve should be pressure balanced, and you probably have something which has caused it to stick at the cold water side. Sometimes you can remove it and tap it on the floor to free it up. What make and model valve.
  4. peltaz

peltaz New Member

Actually, the shower is in another part of the house and is not new. The flow to the hot water just suddenly decreased. I removed the showerhead when I first noticed it and the hot water still runs as a trickle. The valve is a kohler shower valve. No tub. The cold water runs great. The flow slows to a trickle when the valve is moved to full hot. Again, nothing else on that particular branch has had the hot water flow affected. That is the kitchen sink and a bathroom sink.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Sounds like a pressure balancing valve problem.
    What is the Kohler Model #
  6. peltaz

peltaz New Member

MFG Brand Name : KOHLER
    MFG Model # : K-T15613-4-BN
    MFG Part # : T15613-4-BN

This is not exactly it but extremely close. It came from Home Depot as a shower mixing valve and showerhead kit. Thank you for your help.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I believe then that this would be the parts breakdown for your valve...

Valve Parts Breakdown

The part that is not working would be the #500520 / PBU SERVICE PART KIT
  8. peltaz

peltaz New Member

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try.
  9. peltaz

peltaz New Member

Thanks for the advice. It worked like a champ. Also, thanks for your patience as I now see that you have already answered the same question several hundred times.
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

On this and other forums!:D
    Glad you were able to fix it!