Parking above gas line

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
I'm looking at adding a gravel parking pad in the back yard. The gas line to the house runs underneath the parking area. Anything I should be aware of before moving forward?

I was hoping to do gravel instead of concrete. But I imagine that concrete might spread the load a little better. Our heaviest vehicle is maybe 6000 lbs.

If that's pushing it, I suppose I could put something over the line but under the gravel to help spread the weight?

Reaction score
If that line is buried, it can't tell if there is a car on it or not.

You might want to ask the gas company if they like it. Has nothing to do with safety, more to do with how anal they may be if you cover up their property. They may like to have the option to dig it up easily whenever they want to.

DIYer101

Reaction score
Just in case any dummyproofing is in order, I found a light green pipe about 15 inches underground. That'd be the gas line I assume...? You can see it's right under the yellow locate marking.

I wanted to find out how deep it was in case things had somehow changed over the years (and make sure it wasn't just 6 inches down for some reason).
IMG_1873[1].JPG IMG_1874[1].JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "Gas main line" would normally NOT be a green pipe, nor would it only be 15" deep. Lines like that are usually for homeowner connection, and you would want it to be "accessible" when it starts to leak.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A parking pad needs to have all topsoil removed before backfilling with gravel, so you really should have the utility come out to mark the line and verify that the line will not interfere with your intended plan.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A "green pipe" would NOT be a "utility main line" so they will NOT locate and mark the line.
I don't know what the color has to do with it. If I dig here, we have to have it marked first or we are liable for any damage to it. Here they locate and mark it right up to the connection at the building. If we damage the line because they marked it wrong, they cannot charge us to repair it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks