Panel ground rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

jack680

Reaction score
I was wondering if this setup looks right. One picture is the panel at the meter and the other is the inside panel. Does my inside panel need its own ground rods even though it's grounded to the outside panel?

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 314

Stuff

Reaction score
Only if the outside (main) panel is NOT attached to the house is the inside panel to have its own ground rods. Current codes state you need ground, neutral, and hots all run together in same conduit between panels. Ground wire can be eliminated if using metal conduits.

jack680

Reaction score
Only if the outside (main) panel is NOT attached to the house is the inside panel to have its own ground rods. Current codes state you need ground, neutral, and hots all run together in same conduit between panels. Ground wire can be eliminated if using metal conduits.

My ground wire going from outside panel to the inside panel is in a separate conduit. So that's wrong? Also my outside main panel is not attached to the house so I will need separate rods for the inside panel. You need to have a ground between panels plus ground rods? How impossible is going to be to feed a ground wire threw the same conduit as the hots and neutral?

Stuff

Reaction score
I can't tell from your pictures but there is an exception for mobile homes to not need separate grounding.

Separate grounding conductor in PVC is OK if boxes are plastic but your panels are most likely steel. Inspector may not have caught this and some don't think it is a big deal. There is an alternate solution in NEC 300.20(b) - "cutting slots in the metal between the individual holes through which the individual conductors pass."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks