Paint

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by jimbo, Sep 4, 2011.

1. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

OK, I haven't done a project like this for a long time and forgot the basics! I painted a chest. Nice coat of primer, two coats of Glidden Premium interior semi. Now tow weeks later, still have terrilble 'blocking'.......put something on top and it sticks! I remember this is a characteristic of latex paints, but forgot! Is there a rescue? How about a topcoat of diamond clear acrylic? I would topcoat with an alkyd enamel, but I don't think you can even get a good one anymore in a non-industrial application??

Is there a brand of latex which is better than Glidden for this situation?

Thanks,

2. mrmedic

mrmedic Junior Member

Contractor
    The only thing I would think was that you did not let the paint completely dry between coats. If that is what has happened then the only rescue would be to either give it a little longer to try and dry out, Maybe put it in the sun for a day or redo from the start. Did you clean and sand the chest before the primer?

Ron

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Robber, with some DIY on the side.
    I have had a few duff cans of paint and varnish that have done that to me in the past.

I'd try the topcoat you suggest on a small area. A similar approach has worked for me before.

5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I did prep the wood well, and let it dry 8 hours between coats. Can said 4 hours...so that should be ok

Good idea , Ian, about trying the topcoat on an inconspicuous inside spot! I will do that.

6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I querried Glidden and their response said very deep colors ( which this is ) have a lot of pigment added, which lengthens cure time. They said give it at least 30 days, but said the best solution is probably an acrylic top coat.