Paint on fiberglass bathtube chipped off

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by AFK, May 2, 2009.

1. AFK

AFK New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Paint on fiberglass bathtub chipped off

What kind of paint do I get to repaint the chipped area? It's just a small area around the tub spout that was chipped off when the spout was replaced. The color underneath the paint was revealed to be a beige, and the paint that was chipped was white.

I take it there's also some preparation and a specific right way to repaint the chipped area?
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    It's more likely a gel-coat, not paint. There are some paint repair kits the big boxes carry. It will eventually yellow a little.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Jan 5, 2008
    Test, Don't Guess!
    Land of Cheese
    Gel-coat is an epoxy that is really pretty simple to repair. Search the net for information on repairing gel-coat on fiberglass boats, the procedure will be the same. Luckily, white is the ideal color to repair.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    I was thinking that he may actually have an almond tub that was actually repainted by a former owner. If that is the case.....assume that more chipping and flaking is in your future.
  6. AFK

AFK New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    i'm pretty sure this my case. my plumber pointed it out and i can see the paint chip in crackline fissures and almond paint underneath. it's definitely not discoloration.