p-trap vs bottle trap

Discussion in 'Canadian Plumbing Code Questions' started by hardlyever, May 11, 2014.

?

is a bottle trap up to code in ontario

Poll closed May 21, 2014.
  1. yes, go for it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no sir, stay away

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hardlyever

hardlyever New Member

Hi all. New to posting, so please excuse any non-standard behaviour. My question is this. I am renovating my bathroom. As part of the new design, I want my contractor to install a bottle trap under our wall mounted sink, as opposed to the standard p-trap. He is unfamiliar with bottle traps and wonders if bottle traps meet current code in ontario. Any info here that I may pass on to him to ease his apprehension, or to put a kaibash on the whole thing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hardlyever
  2. mikeplummer

mikeplummer Plumber

they do not meet code
  3. hardlyever

hardlyever New Member

I don't understand something here. I just found 7 for sale at home depot Canada, like this one,
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/p-trap-and-pop-up-drain-chrome/840272. It's called a p-trap, but it looks a bottle trap, so maybe it's my terminology that's wrong. But the trap shown at that link is what I'm looking to have installed, and assume that it meets code or there wouldn't be so many available at a Canadian retailer. Thoughts?
  4. hardlyever

hardlyever New Member

Not sure if I'm now double posting, because I replied to mikeplumber's answer and it disappeared. But my problem is that I can find what I'm looking for at Canadian retailers, like this one,
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/p-trap-and-pop-up-drain-chrome/840272. So is my terminology wrong, or is Home Depot Canada selling traps that don't meet code?
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Home Depot sells a lot of non-code product. It drives inpectors nuts.
    However, the plumbers know enough not to use products that get turned down on inspections.

It does make me laugh though that so many people think that Home Depot cares about plumbing codes. They care about money.
  6. hardlyever

hardlyever New Member

Thanks for the input. I spoke at length with another Canadian plumber who advised me that the type of trap I am considering is indeed up to code. So, right now I'm stuck with he-said he-said. I appreciate the help either way.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Regardless, it's a pretty simple thing to install, or change out. If you have a problem with it, it's just two slip joint nuts.
  8. mikeplummer

mikeplummer Plumber

by calling it a p-trap they are trying to get around the plumbing code regarding bottle traps (which it actually is)