P-Trap to vent minimum, Weir to Vent question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mahuska, Aug 23, 2013.

1. mahuska

mahuska New Member

When sizing the weir to vent minimum on a P-trap is it measured from liquid edge in trap to start of vent inner diameter (=> than 2X trap arm diameter)?
  2. asktom

asktom Member

It is measured from the liquid edge to the start of the vent, but it is impossible to not meet code requirements given the configuration of the fittings available. Set that quandary aside and move on to the next one.
  3. mahuska

mahuska New Member

I have a tight shower location using a Kerdi line drain and if you use 2 pipe diameters as the minimum then the weir to vent distance is 5.75. If I just put the P-trap right on the 2" tee the distance is 3.75.
    5.75.jpg too close.jpg
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

I don't know what your pipe size is, but the minimum vent distance is never going to be 5.75. It's 2 pipe diameters -- inner diameter. 1-1/4" pipe will be 2.5" minimum. 1-1/2" pipe will be 3 inches. 2 inch pipe will be 4". 3 inch pipe will be 6 inches. See page 3 of this document: http://www.klickitatcounty.org/building/FilesHTML/pdf/plmbghandout0411.pdf One thing that is slightly confusing about that document, however, is that it says the minimum "trap arm" distance is whatever, but it illustrates the measurement for meeting code the correct way, then illustrates the "trap arm" as a different distance. The measurement you want is the illustration that shows the distance as being from the inside of the weir to the outer wall of the vent. not the "trap arm" markings under the connection points.
  5. mahuska

mahuska New Member

Ok inner diameters make a lot of sense. 2 in pipe for a shower.
    2013-08-24 09.32.34.jpg
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Unless you have an "anal retentive" inspector with a ruler, no one will ever check it , at least none have ever turned my installations down even with a trap tight to the tee.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Don't you just love idiots who post a long gibberish filled post in a foreign language, and then repeat it several times to be sure we don't miss it?
  8. mahuska

mahuska New Member

I feel that I missed something