P Trap replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Mfellows

Reaction score
My moms house was built in the mid 60s and has copper DWV, except for the main stack. I am going to install an Insinkerator Evolution Compact to replace her old unit and was thinking I should do something with this trap (which some of you guys who do this for a living might have seen before?). I know I can use a 1-1/2 inch copper DWV C x SJ Trap Adapter, but I was hoping for a cheaper solution like a Fernco adapter. If so, can you suggest the proper adapter to connect 1-1/2 inch copper to a 1-1/2 inch PVC trap?

Attachments

• ptrap.jpg
    ptrap.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 183

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can't see what is behind the trap, but it may be 1-1/2" galvanized. You can use a new tubular trap to the male threads with a slip joint nut and washer. Sometimes you need a new nipple from the wall.
If it's copper, they do make a copper x plastic mission coupling that will adapt to a trap adapter.

Mfellows

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain it's copper, this picture might provide a better view

Attachments

• trap2.jpg
    trap2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 183

Mfellows

Reaction score
Terry, thanks! I was thinking the trap would attach directly, but the spigot trap adapter makes it even easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks