P trap replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

celife

Reaction score
I'm replacing a p trap and found that the pipe running from the sink is 1 1/4" and the pipe coming out of the wall is 1 1/2". The replacement p trap I bought is 1 1/4" which only works on the sink side. I could replace the pipe that comes out of the wall with the 1 1/4" pipe that came with my p trap, but am guessing it wouldn't fit on the far end. To make matters worse, the current pipe coming out of the wall no longer has a screw on nut or whatever it's called since it broke off. Not sure what my next move should be.

Attachments

• bathroom_sink_p_trap.jpg
    bathroom_sink_p_trap.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 254

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where the trap goes into the wall, the connection is made with a fitting call a trap adapter. If you have a 1-1/2" drain and want to connect a 1-1/4" trap, there is a properly sized fitting for that...it may already have that fitting on the drain. If it does not have an adapter, then you need to know what kind of pipe the drain is and buy and adapter to fit. Even the Smock Man at HD should be able to get you set up with the right materials as long as you know what size and type of pipe you are connecting to.

Last edited:

celife

Reaction score
Since last posting I found a "reducing washer" from a prior p-trap problem with another sink. This allowed me to use the wall pipe that came with my replacement p-trap. My wall pipe was too long but I was able to use a hacksaw to get it to the right length. Everything fit great with no leaks! Victory pic attached.

bathroom_sink_p_trap_finished.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks